Thursday, April 25, 2013

I came to the Garden alone



Yesterday I visited Shore Acres Gardens , on the Oregon Coast . I found myself really enjoying the different flowers and blooms and how well they complimented each other , and how much their diversity added to the Garden as a whole .  Since then I keep getting more " confirmation " from what i am reading and watching ...All leading me to this :

Romans 12:4
"For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,"
The word Membership has Biblical origins . Paul used the word to describe the Diversity of believers. Today the meaning of the word has changed to mean " people like me " .
When I was very young in my Christian Walk , I would sometimes "retreat" into myself during Church worship , and as I did so I would have these interesting " visions " . I remember two very well. This is the account of the First of these :
I was a witness to a City Struggling . The City , was a like a medieval fortress . A huge wall encircled the city , around it was a moat filled with stagnant water . I was inspired to think of the city as the " Church " .
Life was good in the church ...orderly , provisioned . Outside of the walls was Turmoil and strife . People were trying to get into the City , but the Inhabitants of the City were Defending the walls. Some from outside tried to scale the walls ...but they were met with hot oil and rocks thrown at them .
Then I saw Jesus . He was outside the City , He had been ministering to the people outside ..His attention turned to the City and He approached it . With a wave of His hand He demolished the walls ...He filled in the Moat and led the People into the City ....
Until Lori and I found Springhouse ...that is how I viewed the Church in America ..a fortress throwing hot oil and stones on sinners .
I don't believe Jesus wants us safe in our Church , at least not safe in the idea that we the Members of the Church are to be the Guardians . Instead we are called to be Servants . Servants are protected by their Master . I think each of us has gifting's that God has provided for us . That each of us has works God planned for Us . If we are in a church where everyone around us , looks like us , talks like us , likes the same football teams as we do , and votes for the same political candidates ..we are no longer " Members " of that Church as Paul uses the word. Instead we are one Organ . one Identity . When the Healthy church Paul describes is made of many Members. 
I suspect far too man of us spend far too much time worrying about if  some of the people in the pews really belong there , instead of  thanking God for choosing us to belong to His Church.  Instead of Judging others based on our own works , and our own convictions , perhaps we should be thanking God for the works He has Given Us ...and the Convictions He has blessed  us with . 
In the Garden the Rose does not say to the Lily you are too spindly ...or the tulip questions the Hedges lack of any other color than Green .  God the Master Gardener has  a plan ... And from what I can see He is pretty Good at  that Planning thing . 

No comments:

Post a Comment